The other day I was trying to use up some of the items in my pantry. I came across packets of Instant Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, and I thought, “These would make really amazing muffins! ” Soon after, I had some warm, hearty, and incredibly yummy apple muffins! Apple Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal packets add a lot of flavor and create a great texture. I decided to add a decadent streusel crumb topping that really takes this muffin recipe over the top (sorry for the pun). These apple muffins come together really quickly, so lets get baking!
Here is the star ingredient. You don’t have to use Quaker; any generic brand of instant oatmeal will also work quite well.
When you are mixing together the streusel crumb topping, it should form crumbs like the ones shown above. At this point, you can incorporate the instant oatmeal packet. If you feel so inclined, this is a good point to provide some “quality assurance” for the streusel topping (aka-stealing a few bites of the topping). I know I always do 🙂 Whenever you incorporate the wet and dry ingredients, it’s best to add the wet ingredients to the dry. I like to create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients into the center. If you have a technique that you like better, though, go for it!
Do not stir the batter too much; a few bits of flour showing through are okay.
Try not to fill the muffin tins past the 2/3 mark. The muffins will rise quite a bit and you need to leave some space for the streusel topping!
The last step is to sprinkle the streusel crumb topping onto the muffin batter. It doesn’t have to be perfect; just evenly distribute the the topping. In 25 minutes you’ll have piping hot apple muffins and your house will be filled with a yummy cinnamon smell. I bet you won’t have to call anyone to breakfast. 🙂
I love how the streusel crumb topping almost melds into the batter. I hope your family enjoys these apple muffins as much as mine did!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 packet Apple Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup sugar granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 4 eggs, beaten & at room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 packets Apple Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour through salt). Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork. Stir in the instant oatmeal packet. Set aside.
- Line 3 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients into the well. Combine the ingredients, but do not overstir (a few lumps are okay). Fold in the instant oatmeal packets, raisins, and walnuts (if using). Fill the prepared muffin tins 2/3 full (if you use any more batter, the muffins will overflow as they rise in the oven). Then sprinkle the streusel crumb topping over the muffins. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!